Tuesday 19 April 2011

Games of Thrones - Knives, Tits and Betrayal.

With Spartacus Gods of the Arena having just one episode left, I wondered where I would get my weekly fix of decapitations, gut slashing gore, and gratuitous nudity from. I need not have worried, Game of Thrones has arrived. And it has more than enough of all three to be going on with. It also has lots of castles, lots of funny names and enough Brit actors to populate a Harry Potter film. The cast is led by the first rate Sean Bean, who can play this kind of fantasy stuff standing on his head. I won't bother you with the story, because there wasn't much in this first episode, it was too busy introducing the large cast of characters. I'll admit I was a tad lost at times, but thankfully not Dune lost. I'm sure the plot will thicken nicely over the coming weeks.

My one niggling worry is that Game of Thrones looks like a bit of a gamble. And, if it doesn't pay off, it could find itself in the same HBO abyss that Deadwood and Carnivale ended up. I hope not, I really don't want to have to read the house brick sized paperbacks to find out how it all ended. That said, Game of Thrones looks great, is well acted, and is worth a look. Plus it will help no end with the Spartacus cold turkey.

Over

No comments:

Post a Comment