Monday 13 February 2012

American Horror Story - Season 2.

It has been confirmed that Jessica Lange will return for American Horror Story season 2 so we can all let out a huge sigh of relief. It’s also being reported that 4 other actors are also in talks to return, but sadly it definitely won’t be anyone from the Harman family. It hasn’t been cleared up whether the actors returning will play the same characters or if they will play someone entirely different but either way the return of Jessica Lange is cause for celebration.

So if you haven’t been informed already (and I’m sure you have) season 2 is going to be completely different to season 1. It will be set in a different location (a horror institute as Murphy put it) with entirely different characters and different storylines. So no more Harmans, no more Horror House and no more black gimp suit man.

The idea is completely new and amazingly clever but I’ve read around, judged people’s opinions online and I’m a little bit worried that the great TV viewing public may not be quite ready to deal with this new concept. Let’s face it, people don’t like change and there will be no bigger change then AHS season 2. I’ve never seen a show which has killed off its entire cast in one season and set their second season in a completely different environment and whilst I’m on board, I’m not sure people are going to be able to wrap their heads around watching what is essentially a new show with the same name.

I suppose The Wire did this to some extent throughout its 5 season reign. That changed themes each year (schools, docks, press etc) but ultimately it kept it’s core group of characters and that won’t be the case with AHS. Its unique selling point is a different cast and different set each year, Which I find bloody exciting but will everyone get it? For American Horror Story’s sake and mine I hope so.

My hope is that the 4 characters returning will be: Nora Montgomery, Tate, Zachary Quinto and Mena Suvari.

***********************************************************************

Side note: How great were the final two episodes of American Horror Story. I thought the not so subtle nods to Beetlejuice, Halloween and Rosemary’s Baby were brilliant. I cannot wait to see where they get their influence from next year. Due to the lack of ‘Exorcist’ in season 1 I have a feeling we will be seeing a bit of demon possession in season 2. I really do think this is one of the most exciting shows out at the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment