Tuesday 15 March 2011

Weeds has lost it's charm.

I have decided to give up watching Weeds. It wasn’t that hard of a decision to make to be fair. After waiting two years for it to come back on to TV in England, I realised I hadn’t missed it that much in the first place. It wasn’t anywhere near as funny as I remembered but Nancy was just as obnoxious and flash as I remembered her to be.

In the first few seasons I could kind of see how Nancy could have become a drug dealer, what with the dead husband and shed loads of debt. I felt sorry for her, trying to hide her double life from her family and neighbours and then having to deal with her suppliers, Conrad and Haylia. I never found myself able to root for her completely; there was always something about her that annoyed me (I think it was her obsession with Starbucks) But now she is running all over town like a pretty Pablo Escobar, I find her completely intolerable. It seems to me that the charm Weeds had in its first three seasons has completely disappeared making way for a show that just seems obnoxious filled with unlikeable characters.

I stopped watching a couple of episodes back, after willing Nancy to get caught whilst crossing the border, I realised there was no point watching a show where I couldn’t get behind the main character. I even liked Tony Soprano at his worst! However someone told me that in the most recent episode, Shane masturbates over a picture Nancy! So maybe her youngest son is still deranged but just not funny anymore. Either way I’m officially done with Weeds.

1 comment:

  1. I wish I could give it up too. I haven't enjoyed for a few seasons now. Honestly, it felt like it should have ended when the town burned. It was a perfect arc. Everything after that has been a mess. Unlikable characters with no direction... Not for me.
    Anyway, now that you have some extra time each week you should click on the blog and check out the show we do each week. You may hate the characters, but we hate Starbucks, so at least we got that going for ourselves.

    ReplyDelete