Thursday 21 April 2011

The Only Way Is Essex - As real as the Easter Bunny.

I’ve just finished last night’s episode of The Only Way Is Essex and now I’m sitting here trying to work out whether I care that it’s about as real as the Easter Bunny.

Of course Denise Van Outen warns me at the beginning that whilst these people are real some of what I see has been set up for my entertainment and mild embarrassment and amusement. But I can’t help but think they should change that to '99% of what you see has been set up for your entertainment'

I do believe that some things we see are real. For example there is no mistaking Carole’s (marks mum) hatred for Lauren. When she said in the most recent episode that Lauren had put her through 10 years of hell, well you knew full well that she was telling the truth. I mean let’s face it you can see how that would be possible; Lauren puts me through 30 minutes of hell twice a week.

Also it is easy to see that Lydia is in love with Arg, It’s quite clear to see that the girl is heartbroken. I really felt for her when she told Arg she hated him. I don’t believe that she does but the show has clearly ruined their relationship, of course hell will freeze over before they admit that on camera. There is no way Lydia could act out how upset and angry she was on camera. If she can then she really shouldn’t be on TOWIE.

My point is you can see when their acting and when they’re not,, just like anyone in real life. There are some parts and relationships that are real but 99% of it is about as fake as it comes.
For example Sam and Joey’s relationship is obviously set up for the cameras, only I don’t think Joey knows about it just yet. Sam is reluctant to touch him and kiss him on camera and she forever looks embarrassed by him.


I’m also just wondering if anyone actually thinks that Amy etc stayed in those tents over night. I would bet my house that as soon as those cameras were turned off they all got back in the Beamer and went home.

Kirk featured far more heavily in the beginning of the season when he broke up with Lauren Pope, something he genuinely looked like he didn’t want to do. Considering the producers cut him from the Xmas special, I wouldn’t be surprised if they told him he had to make his life more exciting to be featured. Now he’s back with Lauren his screen time has been cut in half

Amy has featured less and less this season; she doesn’t have one story line but just keeps popping up every now and then. I would imagine this would have something to do with her signing up with CAN associates. She’s clearly the breakout star of the show but instead of hanging around with Kirk and Mark at Sugar hut she’s now off partying with Kerry Katona Peter Andre at the Mayfair hotel. Not the sort of thing that TOWIE are really going for.

As for Mark and Lauren I can’t work that one out. Are they really together? Is it all for the camera? Who knows? Who cares? I suppose it doesn’t really matter at the end of the day if any of it’s real at all. It’s still entertaining and I’m still going to watch it. As long as Mark doesn’t make any more cringe worthy speeches. I can’t put myself through that again.

1 comment:

  1. I was unlucky enough to have to watch five minutes of this recently.

    At first I thought it was a parody and then I was told it was 'real' and it featured 'real people'. I immediately contacted Injury Lawyers R Us and they are now suing the production company for the return of my five minutes plus crimes against humanity.

    No win no fee.

    ReplyDelete