Sunday 22 January 2012

Take The Plunge.... The Killing 2

The Killing II had been sitting on my planner for a while and I didn't have the guts to get started. What if it is not as gripping as the first, after all it was only half the length, what I get bored, what if I go off Sarah Lund? All these questions haunted me as I bypassed the Killing II to watch Burn Notice, or something of that ilk.

Well, I finally decided to plunge in and, after a couple of episodes, all my fears were gone. It had me gripped. Let's face it, just the sight of Sarah and her jumpers are enough to get us fired up. Much like the last outing, it was a multi-stranded affair. And, much like the last outing, the political side had a character to rival Sarah. Justice Minister Thomas Buch, brilliantly played by Nicolas Bro, who bowled through the Danish parliament like John Candy in Uncle Buck. He really was great, with his outbursts of temper and stunned looks when he was thwarted at every turn. And also we got more of the scary, but ever reliable, Brix the boss who looks like he doesn't know whether he wants to support Sarah or kill her. And it's Sarah we have all came for and she didn't let us down. Sofie Gabol gave another pitch perfect performance. You never lose patience with the character, you're with her all the way. Even when she rudely walks out of her mother's wedding reception mid speeches.

I won't go into the plot because you too might have it waiting on the planner. But let's just say if you are nervous, jump in you'll love it.

I find it mad that a Danish thriller has now held me for thirty episodes, where something like The Shadow Line, which the BBC seemed so proud of, couldn't keep me for half a dozen.
Perhaps before some of these writers send in their naff thrillers, they should take a look at the Killing. But, then again, they'd probably cry and give up.


Over

No comments:

Post a Comment