Saturday 18 February 2012

Overview.


Like the vast, vast majority of the British viewing public I missed Friday Night Lights when it aired on ITV4, so I thought I'd give it a go now it's being shown, from the beginning, on SKY Atlantic. But as I was watching, it sort of reminded me of something. Then I realised Friday Night Lights was remade as Glee. Same sort of story, just camp it up around the edges, throw in some Journey and Celine and hey presto it's transformed. I wonder if we get a Britney episode on FNL? One can only hope.

I found Grimm a bit of a disappointment. I was looking forward to something edgy and dark, but all we got was a deeply pedestrian cop show and one that is already starting to creak under the concept. Where Buffy seemed natural and the premise was never thrust down our throats,  Grimm is the opposite. But, back then the whole idea of ghouls, warewolves and vampires walking amongst us was new and fresh. Now almost every show does it. We can't be that far away from Home and Away adopting it, it's the natural progression once they get bored of the whole gangster thing. But I suppose I'll give Grimm few more episodes, just in case it livens up.

I'm always impressed when artists suffer for their art and we certainly saw a prime example of that in this weeks TOWIE. When those brave souls rushed into the freezing, wintry, Essex sea, just to entertain us, I was genuinely moved. Like Buster Keaton and Harold Lloyd before them, Arg, Joey, Diags and Mario gave of themselves. Especially Arg, when he fell over and limped ashore moaning 'My balls, my balls'. I'd like to think it was all their own idea, after all these people are real, isn't that what Denise Van Outen is always telling us? Well, at least as real as the big bad wolf in Grimm I suppose.

Over 

No comments:

Post a Comment