Friday 22 June 2012

BBC Firer - Borgen

Like any dealer, worth their salt, BBC Firer (that's Danish for four see how clever I am being) following the sheer brilliance of The Bridge knew there was a lot of us Jonesing for more Nordic Noir; so they have given us another chance to see Borgen, the one we all, kind of, missed. I'll admit I gave it a swerve the first time round, after the intense complexities of The Killing, I felt a little Daned out but The Bridge has revived me and so I thought why not? 


But Borgen is a different animal to the other Scandanavian offerings. This is a political thriller! So after sitting through two episodes I realised there wasn't going to be a serial killer popping up (this is more West Wing than Fred West) but that doesn't mean it isn't any less engrossing than it's higher body count stable mates. In common with all good slasher films these Nordic Noirs require a strong female lead and Borgen has Danish Prime Minister Birgitte Nyborg, a woman equally worried about her weight as she is about running the country. But she is beset by very shady characters on all sides, yes, there is certainly something rotten in the state of Denmark.

Madly you find yourself drawn into the manic machinations and rooting for Birgitte as she strives to form a government. I was thinking if this was a British show with, say, Suranne Jones and James Nesbitt I would run a mile. But, then again, British television hasn't built up the good will that The Killing and The Bridge have, allowing us to eagerly receive a ten part show about Danish politics. But, to help us through, Borgen does have some familiar faces, like both of Sarah Lund's ill fated partners, let's hope a few more pop up.


Well I'm in now and hopefully Borgen will tide us over until we get The Killing Three and The Bridge Two.


Over  

No comments:

Post a Comment