Tuesday 28 August 2012

Hunderby - No 1. Fan!

I switched off Sky Atlantic's Hunderby after about twenty minutes,which makes me one of the biggest Hunderby fans in the country. I firmly believe every other viewer had the good sense to delete it a lot earlier.

It was hard to work out exactly what the show was supposed to be. If it was a parody then it made A Touch of Cloth look like Airplane!, if it was a comedy then I refer you to my previous comment.

Set in a dour coastal village in 1851, the show seems to take large,flat swipes at Jane Austen, Thomas Hardy and probably a fair few other things I'm too dim to pick up on. Hunderby is written by Julia Davis, who also plays a Rebeccaesque house keeper to 'hilarious' effect. Julia Davis is, probably, most famous for Nighty Night, which had a very good first series and a colossal duffer of a second and Hunderby, well the first twenty minutes, was a lot more Nighty Night two than one.

Another biting question is why on earth was this made, was there a big bundle of cash laying around the Sky Atlantic offices and Julia Davis was wandering by?

" 'Ere your Julia Davis ain't you?"
"Yeah, so what?"
"Well we've got this bundle of cash layin' around wanna make a show? "
"I do have  this script I wrote when I was twelve it's called Hunderby."
"Great give us eight episodes!"

Having twenty minutes of Hunderby, under my belt, I suppose it is up to me to organise the first fan convention, do you think the O2 is fully booked we are going to need a fair few nights?

Over

No comments:

Post a Comment