Tuesday 23 October 2012

The Valleys. Lowering The Bar.


While watching this weeks, much the same as last weeks, episode of The Valleys I was reminded of the recent South Park where the whole moral of the show was the lowering of the cultural bar and why we watch programmes like, well The Valleys. I could almost feel Kyle and Stan's scorn as I gazed at the drunken, groundhog day, stupidity of our Welsh heroes. But I didn't turn off and watch the Shostakovitch symphony on Sky Arts 2, no I wilfully allowed my soul to gently decay gawping at Chidgey and Nat have an epic barney in Jordan's club. Only for them to be chucked off the show, but getting turfed off The Valleys and sent packing to the valleys, you don't seem to lose the camera crew. When Lateysha went home, as Bo Peep,( yeah I know ) the film crew were waiting and they were even in the family camper van when her mum turned up. Perhaps you can never escape the cameras, who knows that might be the hidden  theme of the show. 

But there is a real star of The Valleys who has not yet been  used to her full potential, Jenna's Mam. Now there is a woman with fire and power. She wouldn't be out of place in Game of Thrones. I hide behind the settee whenever she is on screen. You could imagine teachers treated Jenna with kid gloves, when she was at school, all she would have to say is: 'I'm tellin' my Mam' and, within hours, teacher's would change identities and move to South America. Jenna's Mam should have her own series, like those Ross Kemp things and see the world's toughest whatever's run like frightened rabbits in her wake.

So I suppose we will keep watching The Valleys, rotting our souls, (or if you are Tyson Fury soles) feeling morally superior and well, enjoying the antics of that madcap bunch of wannabes. In fact,The Valleys is starting to make Geordie Shore look like The Culture Show.

Over 

No comments:

Post a Comment