Thursday 28 March 2013

Arrow / The Following


Sometimes you have to hold your hands up and admit you are wrong. After their shaky starts I thought both Arrow and The Following were going to be consigned to the dark abyss of planner delete. But just as I was about to utter those words we all have said at one time : "Do I really want this s#!t clogging up my planner?" Arrow and The Following shifted up through the gears and made me glad I didn't wield the imaginary axe.

Arrow sputtered at the beginning with everyone seeming a little unsure of where it was all going. It was crime of the week interspersed with Oliver Queen stranded on the mysterious island. Horrible memories of Lost sprang to mind and it looked like a lemon. Then it suddenly found its feet as it ditched the Lost tosh and embraced the DC Universe, now we have recurring villains, interesting characters, and in the island flashbacks Oliver even has Crixus to help him out. There are still a few problems, like Colin Donnell, who plays Tommy looks older than his father played by John Barrowman. How does that work. But as the first season nears its end I will certainly be there for the second.

The Following has probably had a bigger turn around than Arrow. When it started out, it looked like yet another serial killer show; Criminal Minds out of Red Dragon. And certainly for the first three episodes it seemed like that, then it all changed as the killer of the week format, I was dreading, morphed into an exciting and gripping ride. James Purefoy, redeeming himself after his dreadful stint on Revenge, oozes smarmy  creepiness as cult leader and serial killer Joe Carroll and Kevin Bacon's Ryan Hardy has, after an uneasy start, become like the new Jack Bauer. The Following twists and turns with loads of "I didn't see that coming" moments and has gone from a chore to one of the highlights of the week.
 
It makes me wonder what other shows picked up, but I was just too fast on the delete to find out. Still don't think Vegas was one of them though.

Over

No comments:

Post a Comment