Wednesday 30 April 2014

Battersea Heart: A New Novel

To our great surprise one of our contributors has written a novel. Yes we know, literary ambition is something we usually frown upon here at Armchair Assassins. The book is called Battersea Heart by Graham Gaskin and is available in the Kindle Store now. We have read it and really liked it. It is the story of John Keaton a little fat boy growing up in 1970's London. John's life is far from easy as he goes to Battersea Heart, a rough and manic comprehensive school; full of apathetic teachers and enthusiastic bullies. We have reproduced the first couple of pages below.

 

1

 

 

The blazer was far too big for me and we all knew it.   I knew it, the Old Girl knew it, and the exasperated shop assistant knew it.

    “It’s far too big for him, “the Old Girl said looking me up and down.

    “On the bright side, at least this one buttons up madam, “the exasperated shop assistant said trying to raise some semblance of a smile.       

    “But just look at it. He’s going to secondary school, not poxy circus school. “

    “It’s the last one madam. We don’t stock any larger. “

    They both looked at me like I was pickled in a specimen jar. The gloomy, almost Dickensian oppression of the uniform shop felt worse than the blazer.

    “All blazers look big at first madam, “the exasperated shop assistant half smiled. “Who knows the chubby little chap might sprout up and grow into it.”     

    “Umm, “the Old Girl mumbled.

    “Eventually.”

    “Umm,” the Old Girl reiterated.

    “On the bright side, it could always be altered madam, the arms taken up, and the length likewise. “

    “Do you do it? “

    “No, we only do light alterations here, I’m afraid this is far too big a job for us madam. “

    “Umm. “

    The Old Girl’s Umm’s could mean a lot of things, none of them very good. That one meant it had been a long day of uniform hunting and it was time to settle for what we‘ve got.

    “Sod it, let’s get the poxy thing and let‘s go. “

    “Right you are madam, “ the exasperated shop assistant said, with a look of great relief on his face. I could imagine him getting home that evening and saying to his wife; “you’ll never guess what dear, I sold that really big blazer today, break out the sherry! “

    Later that night, I stood in front of the Old Man in my new swamping, out sized, school uniform. 

    ’Kin hell he looks like the Incredible Shrinking Man, “he said, staring at me, then shaking his head.  “Someone’s got their ‘kin work cut out gettin’ that to fit. “    

    There I was, a little fat eleven year old, about to take the biggest leap forward, of my life so far, and I couldn’t have been more ill prepared.

No comments:

Post a Comment