Saturday 26 March 2011

Becoming Human is no S Club Juniors.

I'm glad BBC Three cobbled together the web series ( or whatever these fangled things are called ) of Becoming Human. I'm not from the generation that can sit easily in front of a computer or a laptop screen, give me a big telly any day. Sorry, I digress. Becoming Human is the teen, school based, spin off of Being Human, then again, you already know that. But this was no S Club Juniors to Being Human's S Club. No, this was an enjoyable whodunit with a nice sub Buffyesque feel. It follows the same format as its parent show - Vampire, werewolf and ghost team up, but I felt the lighter touch worked well. For me the third series of Being Human was overblown and tiresome in equal measures, and dare I say it, Becoming Human was better acted. Craig Roberts (Adam the vampire), Leila Mimmack (Christa the werewolf) and Josh Brown (Matt the fat ghost) had an instant chemistry as they tried to solve Matt's murder. The script was also sharper than Being Human. With a nice twist where Adam kept throwing in 80's pop culture references, much to his schoolmate’s bemusement. Good to hear Rentaghost mentioned.

I've heard Becoming Human compared to Misfits, but this is unfair. Misfits is a much more adult affair, and to my mind, one of the best shows on telly. But, yet again I digress. Let's hope we get a whole series of Becoming Human. Also, let's hope they keep it light and not get too involved in the convoluted Being Human universe.

Over.

No comments:

Post a Comment