Monday 30 January 2012

Suits. Dave is a scary new channel.

Suits. I must admit I felt a bit uneasy tuning into a channel that is little more than a hideous Clarkson fest, but I did it. It was a bit like going into a strange pub, with a dodgy clientele, as I sat down to watch Suits and I was quite glad I did. Having never been a big fan of Top Gear or Mock the Week, I've not really gone near Dave. So it seemed an unusual home for the American legal comedy/drama (or should that be the other way around?) 

The premise is that hyper intelligent college drop out Mike Ross (remembers everything he reads, a bit like her in Unforgettable) stumbles into a law firms interview session while avoiding the cops on a bungled drug drop. He is immediately hired by the loose cannon/lone wolf (or should that be the other way around?) top gun lawyer Harvey Specter. Mike hasn't a law degree, or anything like that, but hey who cares? Certainly not Harvey, who is a character that could give Patrick Jane a run for his money in the smug stakes. Under Harvey's maverick wing Mike starts to blossom. OK, Suits is all very implausible, but it's kept afloat by some sharp, funny dialogue and smart performances from the two leads. It also has geek appeal in the shape of Gina Torres as head of the firm Jessica Pearson.

What I like is that it seems to have side stepped the whole David E Kelley/quirky lawyer thing (or should that be the other way around?) and I don't think it will get as preachy as The Good Wife. But I'm only going by the pilot and as we all know a decent pilot doesn't always mean a decent show. 

Anyway, I will be going back to the dark, Clarkson hinterlands of Dave for more of Suits, wish me luck.

Over 

No comments:

Post a Comment