Monday 4 February 2013

"I didn't get it" - FX Louis.


Over the Christmas a group of my in laws were waxing lyrical, well talking, about how funny Mrs. Brown's Boys was, how they would laugh all the way through the show. So, I thought, I'll give it a go but as the minutes went by I just didn't get it. The studio audience were roaring and the actors seemed to be having a great time, but I just didn't get it. That is not the problem of Mrs. Brown's Boys, it's down to me, I didn't get it on a Michael McIntyre scale. 

Well when I heard that Fox, FX for us old schoolers, was showing a critically acclaimed, award winning American comedy called Louis; I thought I was on safer ground. This would be more my style, so I sat down full of expectation at Louis being something to fill the Curb Your Enthusiasm void. But as the minutes went by I just didn't get it.

Written and  starring comedian Louis C.K and from the stand up element of the show, I use the term in the Michael McIntyre sense, Louis is a series of unconnected (sketches is the wrong term) scenes from his life. A school trip that goes wrong and a bad first date were the main thrusts of the opening show. But instead of laughing, I sat there like I was watching Greek tragedy. No doubt some people roar at this and think it's great. But like Mrs. Brown's Boys, but not Michael McIntyre, the fault is with me not Louis. 

The trouble with not getting something is you feel odd, excluded and a little silly. Just what are these people getting from this show that I just can't see? But great thing is we all have our not gets and they are all different. Perhaps it is one of the great joys in life to sit through a programme, then look around puzzled and say "I didn't get it."

Over

No comments:

Post a Comment